Info for Families
We know that the choice you made in coming here is a precious one and we want to make sure that you have a full understanding of the school’s expectations. In order for students to learn and grow, it is essential that we all do our part. Excellence Boys Charter School students, parents, teachers, and administration all have responsibilities to promote student learning and growth. We are all educational partners who must do our part so that students can learn to the best of their ability.
High expectations for students mean high expectations for families -- our most important community partners. We hold families to high expectations, and we assume that they will hold us to equally high standards.
Families ensure that their children arrive at school on time every day, in uniform, and ready to learn. Families check that students complete their homework each night. They support the school in enforcing the Code of Conduct. Families communicate with the school frequently to share successes and discuss challenges.
All families are encouraged to participate in the Families For Achievement (FFA) events.
- I will ensure that my child comes to school every day on time to begin school at 7:45 AM.
- I understand that if my child is absent more than 10 days of the school year, he or she will have to repeat his or her current grade.
- I will make sure that my child promptly makes up missed work following absences.
- I understand that an absence is excused if I have contacted the school and written a detailed note regarding student illness, family emergency, or religious observance.
- I understand that my child will not earn credit for work missed after unexcused absences, including but not limited to: family vacations, participation at sports tournaments, and attendance at entertainment events.
- I understand that first dismissal is at 4:00 PM, but my child may be required to stay until 5:00 PM a) if his or her homework is incomplete and he or she has earned Detention or b) he or she is required to stay for after school tutoring.
- I agree to make alternative transportation plans if my child is not dismissed until 5:00 PM.
- I understand that my child will not be permitted to enter the building before 7:15 AM.
- I agree to check my child's homework daily to ensure that it's complete.
- I understand that if my child will be required to stay for at least one hour in Homework Center if he or she does not complete assigned homework or complete homework that does not meet classroom standards.
- I understand that my child cannot be excused from afterschool Homework Center or Detention unless there is a family emergency or a student illness.
- I understand that if my child skips afterschool Homework Center or Detention and does not make it up the next day, he or she will be suspended.
- Code of Conduct
- I agree to promote and support the rules of behavior as outlined in the school's Student Handbook, and accept responsibility as a partner in my child's learning.
- I understand that my child will be required to stay for at least one hour in Detention if he or she commits a detention-level infraction.
- I understand that it is my child's responsibility to notify me if he or she earns a Detention.
- I understand that my child will be suspended if he or she misses Detention.
- I will come to school for a meeting if my child is suspended, and I understand that my child will not be allowed to return to class until after this meeting occurs.
- I understand that my child needs to pass all core academic classes (a core class is any class that meets at least four times per week) in order to be promoted to the next grade.
- I understand that my child will be automatically retained if he or she fails 1 or more core academic classes.
- I understand that my child must pass a minimum competency exam in order to be promoted.
- I will ensure that my child attends Saturday School if required by the school, if he or she is failing one or more classes as of the first progress report, or if he or she is failing one or more classes for the year on any subsequent progress report or report card.
- I understand that my child may be required to stay for afterschool extra help or tutoring, and that he or she is urged to take advantage of extra help opportunities provided by teachers even when not required.
Student Dress Policy
- I will ensure that my child comes to school in proper dress, according to the guidelines listed in the Student Handbook.
- I understand that if my child comes to school out of uniform, he or she may not be permitted to attend class, may need to wait for the appropriate dress to be brought in from home, and/or may receive an automatic detention.
- I will ensure that my child comes to school with a nutritious breakfast and lunch every day, or I will make arrangements for him or her to have the school breakfast and/or lunch.
- I agree not to send soda to school with my child since students are not allowed to drink soda at school.
- I agree to support my child's academic work by communicating regularly with my child's teachers and advisor, by scheduling appointments to talk with them as needed, and by attending all Family-Teacher Conferences.
- I agree to attend family meetings and other school-sponsored events on a regular basis.
- I agree to volunteer at least once during the school year.
NCLB Parent Right to Know
- As a Title I school under the No Child Left Behind Act, Excellence Boys is required to share information on the qualifications of your child’s teacher. This Parent Right to Know information can be found here.